Read about my botanical and horticultural adventures at Uprooted Gardener.

Monday, November 22, 2010

Katoomba in the Blue Mountains

Finally I feel like I have arrived. Having left Sydney and headed 120 km west into the blue mountains in the town of Katoomba. I have to admit when arriving in the town I was rather disappointed as I was expecting some kind of alpine setting and there wasn’t a mountain in sight. I turns out the blue mountains aren’t mountains in the conventional sense in that they were thrust up by great forces. They are a sandstone platto that has had a maze of deep canyons carved out by tens of thousands of years of erosion.  Katoomba sits on the edge of one of these canyons but this only becomes apparent when you get through the gum trees and peer over the edge. They really appear blue due to the glaucus leaves of the gums and the haze, though closer slopes in the sun were tinged pink and orange by the new growth. There is much hiking to be done here. I can’t take any credit for the aerial photo as I nicked it off line.


Aerial view of Katoomba perched on the edge of a canyon

Looking out across the Blue Mountains

Tiny beings

The Three Sisters sandstone formations

The Three Sisters illuminated by the setting sun

No comments:

Post a Comment